Adjunct Professor, St. Louis University
Adjunct Professor, Washington University, St. Louis
Adjunct Professor, University of Missouri, St. Louis
Adjunct Professor, Portland State University, Portland, OR
- Ph.D., University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1970
- B.Sc. and B.Sc. (Hons.), University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1965-1966.
- Editor, Index to Plant
Chromosome Numbers project.
- Systematics and evolution of Iridaceae–with emphasis on African genera. Current
studies include systematic reviews of Babiana (c. 80 sp.), Hesperantha
(c. 80 cp.), and Aristea (c. 55 sp.) in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Flora of the Cape Region, South Africa. A synoptic flora of the Cape region of
southern Africa with detailed distributional data and diagnostic descriptions.
- The long-tongued fly pollination system in southern Africa (rhinomyiophily),
including investigation of fly species with mouth parts exceeding 20 mm and the
identification of plants pollinated by these flies including documentation of their
floral and nectar characteristics.
- Pollination biology of selected genera including Aristea, Babiana,
Geissorhiza and Moraea.
- Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299
- Phylogeny of the Afro-Madagascan Aristea (Iridaceae) revisited in the
light of new data for pollen and seed morphology. Bot. J. Linn. Soc.
144: 41–68. 2004 [with A. le Thomas & M. Suárez-Cervera].
Floral biology of Hesperantha (Iridaceae: Crocoideae): shifts in flower
color and timing of floral opening and closing radically change the pollination
system. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 91(1): 186–206. 2004 [with I. Nänni,
P. Bernhardt & J. C. Manning].
- Radiation in the Cape flora and the phylogeny of peacock irises Moraea
(Iridaceae) based on four plastid DNA regions. Molec. Phylog. Evol. 25: 341–360.
2002 [with V. Savolainen, O. Porteous, I. Sostaric, M. Powell, G. Reeves, J. C.
Manning, T. G. Barraclough, & M. W. Chase].
- Plant diversity
of the Cape region of southern Africa. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 89(2): 281–302.
2002 [with J. C. Manning].
- The color encyclopedia of Cape bulbs. Timber Press, Portland, OR. 2002. 486 pp
[with J. Manning & D. Snijman].
- Radiation of pollination systems in Gladiolus (Iridaceae: Crocoideae) in
southern Africa. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 88: 713–734. 2001 [with J. C. Manning & P.
- Cape Plants: A conspectus of the vascular plants of the Cape Region of South
Africa. Strelitzia 7. National Botanical Institute of South Africa, Cape Town. 2000
[with John C. Manning].
- Iridaceae. Pp 623–638 in O. A. Leistner (editor), Seed plants of southern
Africa: families and genera. Strelitzia 10. National Botanical Institute, Pretoria.
2000 [with J. C. Manning].
- Fairest Cape Wildflowers. The wildflowers of the Western Cape, South Africa:
where to find them and how to identify them. Redroof, Cape Town. 2000 [with J. C.
- The long-proboscid fly pollination system in southern Africa. Ann. Missouri Bot.
Gard. 87: 146–170. 2000 [with J. C. Manning].
- Pollination of petaloid geophytes by monkey beetles (Scarabaeidae: Rutelinae:
Hopliini) in southern Africa. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 85: 215–230. 1998 [with P.
Bernhardt & J. C. Manning].
- Iridaceae. In K. Kubitzki (editor), Families and Genera of Flowering
Plants volume 2: 295–335. 1998. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg [with contributions
from J. C. Manning and P. Rudall].
- Gladiolus in Southern Africa: Systematics, Biology, and Evolution. Fernwood
Press, Cape Town. 1998 [with J. C. Manning].
- The Moegistorhynchus longirostris (Diptera: Nemestrinidae) pollination guild:
long-tubed flowers and a specialized long-proboscid fly pollination system in southern
Africa. Pl. Syst. Evol. 206: 51–69. 1997 [with J. C. Manning].
- The Prosoeca
peringueyi (Diptera: Nemestrinidae) pollination syndrome in southern Africa:
long-tongued flies and their tubular flowers. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 83: 67–86.
1996 [with J. C. Manning].
- The Woody Iridaceae: Systematics, Biology and Evolution of Nivenia,
Klattia and Witsenia. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon. 1993. 138 pp.
- Phylogeny and classification of Iridaceae. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 77: 607–627.
- An analysis of the flora of southern Africa: its characteristics, relationships
and origins. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 65: 369–436. 1978.
For Dr. Goldblatt's complete CV with list of publications, click here.